Hi again. I went out of my way to learn about some more things, such as time signatures and different types of notes, so I thought I'd go ahead and share my progress.

First off are the time signatures. They look like this:


I wish I had something clever to say but I don't
As you can see above, there are a set of numbers right after the treble or bass clef. Time signatures let you know the rhythm of a song. That's good, since if they weren't there then you wouldn't be able to tell how fast or how slow a song should go. The top number tells you how many beats (the basic measurement of the piano) occur in a measure. The bottom number tells you how long the beats should be.

For instance, a 4 on the bottom would mean that a beat is a quarter note long. If it was a 2 on the bottom, it would mean that a beat is a half note long. The time signature 4/4 is commonly referred to as common time, since... well, it's pretty common. It's also shown as C, since there's a 'c' in common. Another time signature that is commonly used is 3/4 time. I mean, there are a lot more but the time signatures that I'm going to be using mostly contain 4/4 time and 3/4 time.. but wait, I mentioned quarter notes and half notes before. What are quarter notes and half notes?

This is a quarter note. A quarter note is a quarter of a whole note. It's like pretty short. If it was a dog it would be a chihuahua.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                   

This is a whole note. It's pretty long. If it was a dog it would be a reasonably big dog.




This is an eighth note. It's shorter than the quarter note, which was already pretty short. I'm gonna stop with the comparison to dogs since I don't know a lot of dog breeds, so just trust me when I say that this is a pretty short note.





And now we have a sixteenth note. This is shorter than both the quarter note AND the eight note! Wow! Now there are shorter notes out there but these are the notes that you'll see the most.          



This is a half note. As the name implies, it is a half of a whole note. If you're wondering why the half note is all the way done here, it's because my blog won't allow me to put it beneath the quarter note and let me put text next to it at the same time, which is really dumb. Now there's a gap where it used to be, too, and I can't fix that. Blogs are such a pain, aren't they?


That's pretty much it for now. I've been learning a song, and for the most part I've got it down. I'm pretty sure my next post will be me playing that song.