Hi again. I learned about some more stuff so I thought I'd share my progress. Well, it's not like I just learned about it. It's more like, "I actually knew about this stuff a month ago but I was too lazy to make a post about it until now" kind of thing. So the thing I learned about today is a rest. Rests are symbols that tell you to wait a bit when you're playing a song. These things are important because, if we didn't have them, the song itself would look and sound rushed. Y'know, sometimes you just gotta be patient with things and sooner or later it will be worth it. It's sort of like life in a way. A wise man told me that once. Then he ran away because he was being arrested or something, I can't remember. Anyways, there's also different types of rests, so I'll tell you about them right now.

Okay so this is a whole rest. Just like the whole note, a whole rest lasts for four beats. If you don't know what a beat is then like I don't even care. Look at my past posts. Now, I know what you're thinking. "Yo, but that looks exactly like that rest below!" Okay, cool. I know. Just wait for a little bit, okay?




This is a half rest. Like the name implies, the half rest is half of a whole note, which is two beats. Now I know the half note and the whole note look alike, but I know how to distinguish them. The half rest sort of looks like a hat, and the whole rest is like a hole or something. Like.. half and hat! They sound similar and hats are upright. Whole and hole... because the whole note looks... like a hole or something...

I didn't make this analogy, my music teacher in 3rd grade did. Blame her. 








This is a quarter rest. It's a quarter of a whole note, so it is one beat long. That means that you have to wait one beat. It sort of looks like Harry Potter's lightning bolt scar. Blimey, 'Arry! sorry

This is an eighth rest. An eighth note is an eighth of a whole note. Wow, this is sounding pretty redundant. Well anyways it's pretty quick, so you only have to hesitate for a bit. I don't know what this is supposed to look like. Maybe a tree? Or a sapling?

Finally, a sixteenth rest. It's like really short. Again, there are shorter rests out there but I'll just be ending it at the sixteenth rest because I'm pretty sure you already get the idea. This looks like a crazy flute or something. 









Okay so those are rests, and I only said 'like' sixteen times! Okay, now seventeen times. Next time I'll be talking about pianissimo and staccato and a bunch of Italian-sounding words. Dang, now I'm getting hungry. I want some Olive Garden.